Who can resist a super huge, double dipped Granny Smith Apple.
Its a confection reminiscent of Fall and a favorite of almost everyone. What’s not to like??
Fresh crisp apple, rich, yummy, home made soft caramel coated in PURE gourmet chocolate!
From there let you creative confectionery mind go wild! Our example has a final roll in chocolate chips!!
Weighing in at over 22 ounces this is a dessert treat for more than one!
Many caramel apple recipes focus on the process and less on the ingredients. While small Kraft Brand caramel squares are delicious, why not make your own caramel? Once mastered, your caramel will be incredibly fresh and flavorful and your caramel making expertise can be used to create so many outstanding chocolate confections.
To make the Double Dipped Caramel Apple shown in our photo, the ingredients are:
- 1 batch home made caramel. (Recipe below)
- 1.5 pounds tempered chocolate, flavor of your choice (The apple shown has more than 10 ounces of Milk chocolate and Chocolate chips)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Wooden skewer
- Parchment paper lined cookie sheet
Prepare the caramel recipe. Allow approximately 50 minutes to prepare the caramel batch
Let fresh caramel mixture cool and thicken. You want a nice thick coating of caramel on your apples…. BUT it has to be liquid enough for fully dipping apple.
Wash apples well to remove all protective wax. Some candy makers actually dip apples in boiling water for 5 seconds to release all wax.
Skewer apples with wooden or paper candy sticks (find these at any craft or kitchen store)
Dip the apples in caramel. Carefully rub the base of the apple to release excess caramel before setting on parchment paper. Let cool completely
Melt then Temper your chocolate. Temper enough chocolate to coat all the apples you want to make. Allow approx. 9 ounces per 4″ diameter apple
Dip in Tempered chocolate and roll in additional ingredients of your choice: Chocolate chips, roasted almonds, Peanuts, M&M’s, Candy Corn, coconut
Set on parchment paper and refrigerate until cold.
Serve or “give” your amazing Double Dipped Caramel Apples within 2 days.
FRESH CARAMEL RECIPE:
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 TBSP Pure Vanilla
- 1 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed milk
- 1 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 & 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) UNsalted Butter
- 1 Tsp Salt
Prepare a heat safe, heat resistent 2 Quart bowl to receive the cooked caramel.
- Combine the water, sugar, vanilla, condensed milk, corn syrup and butter in a heavy bottomed 4 Quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring while cooking until the batch reaches 245 degrees.
- When the candy thermometer reads 240 degrees begin testing the caramel consistently using the ice water method (see below) The cooled caramel on the spoon should be firm but NOT hard.
- Remove from the heat and add salt. Pour into the heat safe bowl to cool.
Sugar test method.
Put ice and water in a mixing bowl. Place near stove
Dip spoon into caramel mixture, immerse into ice water to quickly chill.
When chilled, feel the consistency of sugar (caramel) mixture.
It should be firm and pliable, NOT hard.